Friday, June 26, 2009

Tribune


Some games are needlessly complex. Either they have a lot of mechanics going on at the same time, or a single overly drawn-out idea that ends up just being grinding and tedious. Arkham Horror is one of the needlessly complex games, with so much going on that forgets that the point is to try and have fun playing the game. Mystery of the Abbey is a deduction game that is convoluted to the point of silliness.

Tribune gets close to this level of pointlessness. When you get right down to it Tribune is a card game with a lot of extra bits, and I was so ready to hate this game when I realized that. It was like I was about to get ripped off, or hustled by the game's gorgeous art and seemingly weighty theme.

I'm happy to say that I was wrong, and Tribune manages to overcome it's overwroughtness and actually deliver an interesting and fun gaming session. Even though Tribune is a card game, it manages to deliver some rich game play and even manages to juggle a couple of different mechanics when aquiring cards and performing other options. The game's theme doesn't feel forced into the actual gameplay, as the different locations and their associated mechanics make sense in a historical sense, even if only a little bit.

Tribune is a good game. The play is a little awkward at first, but once a couple of rounds are played, it comes pretty easy. I look forward to playing again, and not getting my ass handed to me quite as severely next time. 6/10.

3 comments:

AnakinOU said...

Only 6/10? :( This one may quite possibly be my favorite "worker placement" game.

AnakinOU said...

Wait...when did you play Tribune? Where was I?

John said...

I agree that "Mystery at the Abbey" is silly, but I think that's the point. It's supposed to be a bit ridiculous.