Thursday, April 1, 2010

Post PAX Post - Saturday, March 27th Part 1

Previously on Lost The Wandering Gamer:

PAX was met.
Lines were waited in the cold, but yielded awesome results like being practically first.
Wil of the Wheatons spoke.
Allies were gathered.
Songs were sung.


The sun rose on Saturday, and as I woke I realized that because I could see the sun, I was already running late. I was first into the shower and first out the door. I arrived to the convention center to find it open to the media, but not to the public. Note to self: get a fucking media badge for next time. I managed to score some extra concert wristbands for my compatriots, and left to get some breakfast.

While wandering around, I caught one of my friends in her Harley Quinn costume and let me say that the girl can really rock the slutty, insane nurse look. After saying FUCK THAT to sitting in another line, I followed another line into an area of the convention center that was originally closed off to me. I found the D&D area, and lounged in a Sumo bag for a while, until I was told by an event official that I needed to get the fuck out. It was a little more diplomatic than that, but not by a lot. FINE. I continued my wanderings, and eventually found some friends at the Sheraton. After hanging out for a bit, I headed back to the convention center for my preview of the D&D Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

One of the few things that I absolutely refused to miss was this little adventure in a new world. This new world of Athas is actually not new at all, but simply the update of an old 2nd Edition setting. The revised setting seems just as brutal and while my group that I played with survived the adventure, it seemed like we were constantely on the verge of total destruction. Fortunately I was assisted by the utterly relaxing shoulder rub given to me by the lovely OboeCrazy, who stopped by to see what all the D&D fuss was about. Also, the other guys at the table were totally jealous. :D Overall, it was quite fun, and I can't wait to get my hands on the full campaign this summer.

I'd also like to say that the guys I played with, including the DM, were refreshingly cool guys. I was a little worried that I might get stuck with a manical PC-kill-happy DM, or that I'd get a few unsociable types on my team as PCs. Fortunately everyone was extremely chill, and it was an absolute pleasure to play with those guys. Also, the quality of the guys I normally play with clearly has rubbed off on my, as I was able to answer and correct just about every rules question that we ran into. Obviously I was double-checked several times, but my accuracy was always there. Props to my home-town D&D group for helping to bring my game to a very high level. The players at the table were also very skilled, as we not only won the adventure but did it in the fastest time to that point.

After rocking the Dark Sun adventure, I met up with my group in line for the RoosterTeeth panel. Once again, we were near the front thanks to some selfless efforts. Also, people were playing Magic: The Gathering, as all of the swag bags had a different color starter deck in them. So I played M:tG for the first time in a while. The decks were pre-built, and the cards were actually reasonably powered. It was a fun destraction while having little else to do. Hanging out with everyone was also fun, and that's really what made waiting in line bearable. I tried to avoid it, but queuing up with friends was always worth it.

Getting into the RT panel, we got the choicest seats in the packed Main Theatre. Getting in, we finally got to chat with some of the staff, and Barbara who'd been busy tirelessly working the booth in the Expo Hall. It was really cool, and we even got invited to sit in the VIP Sumo lounge area just off the stage. Truly awesome! The panel was entertaining, but the highlight was finding out that Monty Oum, creator of Haloid and Dead Fantasy was now working on Red Vs. Blue as a CG motion capture artist. His work on RvB has so far been outstanding, and I can't wait to see more of his stuff.

TO BE CONTINUED...

0 comments: