Friday, January 25, 2013

Running on Empty

As far as Dungeons & Dragons players go, I'm VERY lucky.

The little group has 3 of the most inventive, engaging, and entertaining story-tellers I've ever seen.  Every one one of the campaigns that these guys are running has done something to take.  It's really hard to put into words how grateful I am for the chance to take part in their adventures and violently kill lots and lots of monsters.

And while I trip over my own words trying to thank them, I feel like I should run my own campaign once in a while.  It's the least I can do, to let these guys who put so much into their worlds just sit back and all be players for once.  My problem is that I'm nowhere near as good as my buddies.  Where their encounters are well made and I dare say inspired, my stuff is thrown together at the last minute.

But that doesn't mean we can't have fun!  I threw together a skill challenge, featuring an innocent band of down-trodden travelers.  Then it was off to my sole combat encounter featuring my monster crush of the week, rakshasas.  Try saying that three times fast.

All my hang ups aside, my players had fun and that's really the whole point.  Maybe I'll run a session again sometime soon?

Nah.  I love killing monsters too much.

0 comments: